Since the inception of the construction industry, it has been a manpower intensive business. It’s true, over the past few decades, our industry has evolved.
For example, tools have been developed to make certain functions and tasks easier for the layman, hydraulics have allowed us to lift heavier loads and materials have advanced to allow for better weatherproofing and improved conditioned environments.
However, at the end of the day, nothing would get built without MANPOWER. And this very important component could never be replaced by tools or technology.
While it may seem simple from the outside, construction to begin with is a very complex industry. It isn’t as simple as putting up a structure or digging a few holes. There are numerous moving parts and pieces.
To give you an idea, here’s a quick overview.
- We start with soils studies, surveying, engineers, architects, bankers and developers.
- Once a structure is designed, the project needs a Construction Management company to supervise the tasks required to go “vertical” with the structure.
- These tasks include numerous contractors and suppliers. There’s excavators, concrete formers, water proofers, framers, flat workers, roofers, siding and trim carpenters, plumbers, electricians, mechanical workers, low voltage contractors, insulators, drywall hangers, drywall finishers, interior trim carpenters, overhead door installers and suppliers, window manufacturers, door manufacturers, security and alarm contractors, fireplace manufacturers; just to name a few.
- By the time a project is complete, hundreds of people will have worked on a particular project, ensuring that each and every task is completed to specifications.
Managing this process requires a firm who can create a healthy project team and we pride ourselves in doing just that on each and every project we manage.
A successful project team requires attention to many details, including, but, not limited to:
- Open and clear channels of communication
- Mutual dignity and respect of Supervision and Tradesmen
- Safety Management
- Meticulous Scheduling and Sequencing
- Clear Specifications
- Site Management
- Equipment Management
- Materials & Inventory Management
- Material Logistics and Handling
- Hoisting & Staging
- Utility Management
Over the years, technology has allowed us to consider pre-fabrication of many of the processes associated with constructing a structure, but nevertheless, these processes usually require additional manpower, up front, and may and/or may not reduce associated construction costs.
Inevitably, construction projects will remain manpower intensive endeavors forever!
Technology can’t adapt to topography, site obstacles, climb scaffold, shimmy up ladders, adapt to fluctuating climate and weather, walk steel, carefully install windows or make judgment calls, often required, spur of the moment.
Manpower is the heart of the construction business and it is imperative that projects and clients are treated with the dignity and respect they earn/deserve throughout the process.
So when you hear people talking about automation or technology taking over human jobs, know that construction will never fully fall into this bucket.
And, our team is here to ensure that it isn’t just manpower that is being supplied, but also a rock solid team that provides nothing less than the highest quality of work and exceptional communication to each and every client we work with.
If you have a question about a project or are interested in working with our team, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We are here to help!